What healthy family and community support conditions are associated with increased self-efficacy and self-esteem in children of color who face racism? Provide at least one scholarly reference to support your response.
This discussion question meets the following NASAC Standards:
18) Understand diverse racial and ethnic cultures, including their distinct patterns of interpreting reality, world view, adaptation, and communication, and to incorporate the special needs of minority groups and the differently abled into clinical practice.
19) Understand the importance of self-awareness in one’s personal, professional, and cultural life.
85) Adapt counseling strategies to the individual characteristics of the client, including (but not limited to): disability, gender, sexual orientation, developmental level, acculturation, ethnicity, age, and health status. Adapt counseling strategies to the client’s unique characteristics, such as (but not limited to) disability, gender, sexual orientation, developmental level, acculturation, ethnicity, age, and health status.
102) Raise awareness of cultural identity, ethnic background, age, and gender role or identity issues in prevention, treatment, and recovery.
102) Sensitize others to issues of cultural identity, ethnic background, age, and gender role or identity in prevention, treatment, and recovery.
119) Recognize the importance of individual differences by gaining knowledge about personality, cultures, lifestyles, and other factors influencing client behavior, and applying this knowledge to practice.
121) Conduct culturally appropriate self-evaluations of professional performance, applying ethical, legal, and professional standards to enhance self-awareness and performance.