Watch this short interview with ballet dancer Misty Copeland: How Ballet Dancer Misty Copeland Shattered Barriers (Links to an external site.)
In your discussion post, address the significant “visual” aspect of this performing art form. Consider one or more of the following themes relevant to the video:
• What pressures do professional dancers face to reach the visual expectations of their audiences in live performance? In additional to physical form and movement, what cultural codes of gender and race impact their study, preparation, and performance? What kinds of pressures do professional dancers have to deal with in order to meet the audience’s expectations of how they should look? What cultural rules about gender and race affect how they study, prepare, and perform, in addition to the way they look and move?
• Classical ballet faces stereotypes of “highbrow,” “Euro-centric,” and “old fashioned” that have deterred potential audiences in recent decades. What opportunities (and challenges) does Misty’s race and collaboration with pop artist Prince bring to the traditional art form?
• What impact do reality TV shows like Dancing With the Stars have on the role and reputation of dance as a performance art in today’s world?
RISE Model Download RISE Model
• Your posts should be of substance and address the topic in 300 words
• Use MLA format for any quotations or citations you use to support your answer