Topic: Family Law
1. Describe five of how the nature of family law practice has changed over the past fifty years.
Division of labor and size have changed over the past fifty years,high frequency of divorce whereby families are divorcing at a high rate due to job insecurity and high cost of living. Cohabitation has increased over the past fifty years whereby most of the women have at one point cohabitated which has led to births out of wedlock. Single adulting and adoption of kids has increased.
2. Describe the role of a paralegal in family law practice
Filling, organizing and maintaining of family paperwork to make them easily accessible,Communicating with clients by sending them emails and answering phone calls and Setting appointments and hearings due to the busy schedule of the attorney.
3. Define and give an example of authorised practice of law.
The practice of law by a person not authorized or rather licensed in a given jurisdiction, for example, a non-lawyer. An example of an authorized law practice is writing contracts and filling blanks on a standard form of contract.
4. Describe at least three kinds of conflicts of interest that paralegals encounter in the family law setting.
Having a close relationship with the client maybe family or friendship, A paralegal working for more than two family cases from different firms and When a paralegal is involved in either a legal professional team or another business outside the job employed.
5. Describe the nature and purpose of an ‘’ethical wall”
The ethical wall is a mechanism that protects the client from any form of conflict of interest. This is done by protecting the information of the client from being disclosed and from other clients benefiting from the information. The wall is created between the information holder and opinion from colleagues which conflicts.