Answer the questions in an essay form, remember to cite your source if needed (MLA or APA format)
1. Thiamin deficiency was observed only in the Chinese community even though all three communities had the same staple (rice) diet. Explain.
2. On packages of enriched rice sold in supermarkets, the rice preparation directions state that the rice should not be washed before cooking. Explain.
3. Severe metabolic acidosis caused by high levels of lactate is often associated with thiamin deficiency. Explain.
4. Provide two plausible explanations for what might cause above normal levels of pyruvate in blood and urine. How can one determine which of the two explanations is correct?
5. Why does thiamin utilization increase among cancer patients?
6. A negative correlation exists between the need for thiamin and the amount of fat in the diet. Explain.