Building Collaborative Networks
SOC1153 Social Consciousness: Being Awake to Social Change
Building Collaborative Networks
Purpose of Assessment:
This assignment will allow the student to gain a perspective on the social service supports, lack of resources, current policies and practices and the challenges facing marginalized populations.
Due Date: Sunday, November 6, 2022, by 11:59 pm [23:59] in the Moodle dropbox
In this assignment, you will be provided with a profile of a marginalized person. You are to research to gain knowledge of their services, supports and resources to assist your assigned person / demographic. You may need to reach out to the agencies to understand how their services support your client population fully. First, attempt to locate the information via the internet. Look at their website. Many agencies are short staffed and might not have the time to answer your questions. Only contact the agencies personally if you can’t locate the appropriate information via the internet.
For this task, you must submit three completed Agency Collateral sheets. You will provide a general overview of what the agency offers and outline two programs specifically that support your client.
Finally, you will reflect on this experience from both a professional and a client lens, reflecting on the challenges and barriers to professionals and clients in establishing collaborative networks.
● As a professional in the field, what challenges did you face in gaining information, and how did you work around these barriers?
● Putting yourself in the shoes of our client(s), what challenges or barriers do you think they may face when trying to access services? For instance, consider that our client may not have strong interpersonal skills – cannot read and write. They don’t have access to or do not understand the internet, may have limited access to transportation, may not have a phone, or struggle with self-regulation/control. How might the experiences of gaining support impact them?
I am male, 20 years of age. I live in a rooming house where people steal from everyone, but I can’t afford anything else. I do have a high school education and looking for employment. I am receiving Ontario Works support. I would like to go to college. I am diagnosed with fetal alcohol syndrome, and I am on medication to control my impulses. I am not addicted to drugs; but I sometimes partake with friends and sell pills for extra cash.
This assignment should take you approximately 3-5 hours to complete.
How to Complete This Assessment:
1. Review your case profile
2. Determine what referrals would be appropriate to assist your marginalized person.
3. Research social supports, services and agencies that could assist your case study.
4. Complete a worksheet with the information you have gained. (see below)
5. Include your reflection from a professional’s and a client’s lenses.
6. Submit your worksheet and reflection in Word or PDF format in the moodle dropbox.
Name of organization:
Mission/mandate of the organization:
Profile for the population they service:
Reasons to refer your clients to this organization:
General overview of the types of programs they offer:
A detailed description of Program #1:
A detailed description of Program #2:
Your impressions of the organization and services: