Paralegal Credentialing Organizations
It is vital that a paralegal foes through a credentialing organization to establish trust when being chosen by an employer. Some of the credentialing organizations besides NALA include:
1. NFPA – National Federation of Paralegal Associations
2. NALS – The Association for Legal Credential
3. AAPI – American Alliance of Paralegals (Becomeaparalegal 2019).
The Paralegal CORE Competency Exam and the Paralegal, Advanced Competency Exams, are offered by NFPA. The NALS offers Accredited Legal Professional, Professional Legal Secretary, and Professional Paralegal. AAPI provides a range of degrees and certifications.
There are many benefits to a paralegal being certified, which include, especially when the competition is so high in the market. One of the advantages of certification is career opportunities. A paralegal who has a certification has the upper hand on being selected by an employer because they will save on money and time for training the employee (Paralegalcertificationhelp 2019). Such a paralegal will also stand a chance of being paid higher wages due to their experience. They become valuable assets to the company. The certifications also keep the paralegals up to date since it is a continuous program.
It is essential to evaluate these Paralegal Credentialing Organizations so that they meet the needs of the paralegal. Some of the factors to consider include:
1. The reputation of the institution on a local and national level
2. The requirements to join the institution
3. Whether the institution offers internships or other forms of experience
4. The practical and theoretical programs offered
5. Clear objectives of the programs so that one can have more information
6. ABA Approval so that one is assured of the quality of education to be provided
7. Firms that hire paralegals from the institution and the kind of work they perform (Paralegals 2019)
Becomeaparalegal. (2019). Paralegal Certification | Difference Between Professional Certification and an Academic Certificate. Retrieved from https://www.becomeaparalegal.org/paralegal-certification/
Paralegals. (2019). How to Choose a Paralegal Education Program – National Federation of Paralegal Associations. Retrieved from https://www.paralegals.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3365
Paralegalcertificationhelp. (2019). Advantages of a Paralegal Certification. Retrieved from http://www.paralegalcertificationhelp.com/advantages-of-a-paralegal-certification.html