Filing of complaint
Samantha Elauf filed her complaint against Abercrombie with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Names of the different courts that considered the case at each level
• Oklahoma District Court
• The Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
• The Supreme Court of the United States
District court’s decision
The district court granted summary judgment on legal responsibility to EEOC after ruling that the proof presented ascertained that the plaintiff wore the headscarf in adherence to her Islamic beliefs, that the defendant knew the religious nature of her practice, and that it declined to employ her as a consequence. Elauf was subsequently awarded damages by a jury for the discrimination.
Outcome of the case at each of the different courts
• Oklahoma District Court-This court granted summary judgment on legal responsibility to EEOC.
• The Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit-This court awarded the defendant summary judgment
• The Supreme Court of the United States-This court reversed the ruling of the Tenth Circuit of awarding summary judgment to the defendant.