Human Nutrition-The Value Of Food Labels
Reading and understanding food labels can often feel like having to understand an entirely new language.
However, it is important that consumers are able to read and interpret the nutrient content in the foods they
For this assignment, you will need to compare the nutrition labels (provided) for two types of crackers, and then
answer a series of questions. Use the Food Label Worksheet below.
File: Food Label Worksheet
Module 06 Assignment – The Value of Food Labels
You are at the grocery store and want to buy some crackers, but you want to choose the healthiest option.
You are considering two different brands and decide to compare the nutrition labels on the boxes. The You are at the grocery store and want to buy some crackers, but you want to choose the healthiest kind.
You’re trying to decide between two brands, so you look at the nutrition labels on the boxes. The
image below shows what you see for Cracker A and for Cracker B.
Image result for compare 2 food labels and their nutrients
Apply what you have learned in the course, and answer the following questions using complete sentences
that reflect proper spelling/grammar.
1. What major differences do you see between the nutrients in these brands?
2. What are the serving sizes for each brand? Why is it important to note serving sizes when comparing?
3. Could either of these crackers be labeled as low in sodium on the packaging according to current FDA
labeling regulations? How much sodium per serving can a product have and still carry the nutrient claim
4. Which cracker (“A” or “B” brand) should someone choose if they are trying to eat less fats (both
saturated and trans fat), less sodium, and more fiber?
5. In your opinion, which is the “healthier” cracker snack? Explain your reasoning.