Family Law and Public Policy: Analysis of the Adoption and Safe Families ActSelect a family policy (or family-based program). Review the literature relevant to your
topic to identify the historical, social, and political issues which might impact your policy Examine the literature on your topic to identify historical, social, and political concerns that may have an impact on your policy.
topic (e.g., political movements, social trends, philosophies). Provide a description of
the policy and activities associated with it and consider the impact of the policy on
families (e.g., consider the intended and unintended consequences of your chosen
policy for family functioning and well-being). Use the evaluation tools and family impact
questions provided in class as a framework for conducting this analysis.
● Your paper should be typed, double-spaced (using 12-point font) and 8 – 10
pages in length. You are required to use a minimum of 3 sources
(peer-reviewed journal articles, scholarly newsletter/magazine articles, etc).
● It is critical that you cite all sources (including government, think tank, and
other related websites); understand what plagiarism means and how to avoid
it. All citations should be referenced using APA format (7th edition)—if you
are not familiar with this format, see the ‘Helpful Links’ section above. This
paper should be your own work, not a collaborative effort. Acts of
plagiarism—whether intentional or unintentional—will be dealt with according
to university policy.
Below is an example format that your paper might follow; however, recognize that each
topic will most likely require additional or alternative subject headers, etc.
● Review of literature
○ Historical and contextual underpinnings related to policy
○ Changing trends in family life/political climate
○ Family values—Perspectives from the Right and Left
● Policy: brief overview/description of policy
● Impact of policy on families
○ Research findings related to policy evaluation/Family impact
● Recommendations for Future Family Policy and Conclusions