In Week 2, you will begin your Course Project Part 1: Needs Assessment by researching to determine the need for a specific curriculum that you will design for your chosen setting. You will begin gathering data and other information to inform your curriculum development decisions. You will get started in Week 2, with the Part 1 Assignment due in Week 3. Be sure to plan your time accordingly. Refer to the Course Project Part 1 Planning Guide for your chosen setting in the Week 2 Learning Resources for more guidance.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity.
Click the weekly resources link to access the resources.
• Ball, J. W., Dains, J. E., Flynn, J. A., Solomon, B. S., & Stewart, R. W. (2019). Seidel’s guide to physical examination: An interprofessional approach (9th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Mosby.
o Chapter 11, “Head and Neck”
• This chapter reviews the anatomy and physiology of the head and neck. The authors also describe the procedures for conducting a physical examination of the head and neck.
o Chapter 12, “Eyes”
• In this chapter, the authors describe the anatomy and function of the eyes. In addition, the authors explain the steps involved in conducting a physical examination of the eyes.
o Chapter 13, “Ears, Nose, and Throat”
The authors of this chapter detail the proper procedures for conducting a physical exam of the ears, nose, and throat. The chapter also provides pictures and descriptions of common abnormalities in the ears, nose, and throat.
• Dains, J. E., Baumann, L. C., & Scheibel, P. (2019). Advanced health assessment and clinical diagnosis in primary care (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Mosby.
Credit Line: Advanced Health Assessment and Clinical Diagnosis in Primary Care, 6th Edition by Dains, J.E., Baumann, L. C., & Scheibel, P. Copyright 2019 by Mosby. Reprinted by permission of Mosby via the Copyright Clearance Center.
• Chapter 15, “Earache”Download Chapter 15, “Earache”
This chapter covers the main questions that need to be asked about the patient’s condition prior to the physical examination as well as how these questions lead to a focused physical examination.
• Chapter 21, “Hoarseness”Download Chapter 21, “Hoarseness”
This chapter focuses on the most common causes of hoarseness. It provides strategies for evaluating the patient, both through questions and through physical exams.
• Chapter 25, “Nasal Symptoms and Sinus Congestion”Download Chapter 25, “Nasal Symptoms and Sinus Congestion”
In this chapter, the authors highlight the key questions to ask about the patients symptoms, the key parts of the physical examination, and potential laboratory work that might be needed to provide an accurate diagnosis of nasal and sinus conditions.
• Chapter 30, “Red Eye”Download Chapter 30, “Red Eye”
The focus of this chapter is on how to determine the cause of red eyes in a patient, including key symptoms to consider and possible diagnoses.
• Chapter 32, “Sore Throat”Download Chapter 32, “Sore Throat”
A sore throat is one most common concerns patients describe. This chapter includes questions to ask when taking the patient’s history, things to look for while conducting the physical exam, and possible causes for the sore throat.
• Chapter 38, “Vision Loss”Download Chapter 38, “Vision Loss”
This chapter highlights the causes of vision loss and how the causes of the condition can be diagnosed.
Note: Download the six documents (Student Checklists and Key Points) below, and use them as you practice conducting assessments of the head, neck, eyes, ears, nose, and throat.
• Document: Episodic/Focused SOAP Note Exemplar Download Episodic/Focused SOAP Note Exemplar(Word document)
• Document: Episodic/Focused SOAP Note Template Download Episodic/Focused SOAP Note Template(Word document)
• Document: Midterm Exam Review Download Midterm Exam Review(Word document)
Shadow Health Support and Orientation Resources
• Shadow Health. (2021). Welcome to your introduction to Shadow Health Links to an external site.. https://link.shadowhealth.com/Student-Orientation-Video
• Shadow Health. (n.d.). Shadow Health help desk Links to an external site.. Retrieved from https://support.shadowhealth.com/hc/en-us
• Shadow Health. (2021). Walden University quick start guide: NURS 6512 NP students Download Walden University quick start guide: NURS 6512 NP students. Links to an external site.https://link.shadowhealth.com/Walden-NURS-6512-Student-Guide
• Document: DCE (Shadow Health) Documentation Template Download DCE (Shadow Health) Documentation Templatefor Focused Exam: Cough (Word document)
Use this template to complete your Assignment 2 for this week.
• Review this week’s Learning Resources and consider the insights they provide related to ears, nose, and throat.
• Review the Shadow Health Resources provided in this week’s Learning Resources specifically the tutorial to guide you through the documentation and interpretation within the Shadow Health platform. Review the examples also provided.
• Review the DCE (Shadow Health) Documentation Template for Focused Exam: Cough found in this week’s Learning Resources and use this template to complete your Documentation Notes for this DCE Assignment.
• Access and login to Shadow Health using the link in the left-hand navigation of the Blackboard classroom.
• Review the Week 5 Focused Exam: Cough Rubric provided in the Assignment submission area for details on completing the Assignment in Shadow Health.
• Consider what physical exams and diagnostic tests would be appropriate to gather more information about the patient’s condition. How would the results be used to make a diagnosis?
FOCUSED EXAM: COUGH ASSIGNMENT:
Complete the following in Shadow Health:
• Respiratory Concept Lab (Required)
• Episodic/Focused Note for Focused Exam: Cough
• HEENT (Recommended but not required)
Note: Each Shadow Health Assessment may be attempted and reopened as many times as necessary prior to the due date to achieve a total of 80% or better (this includes your DCE and your Documentation Notes), but you must take all attempts by the Week 5 Day 7 deadline.
• Complete your Focused Exam: Cough DCE Assignment in Shadow Health via the Shadow Health link in Canvas.
• Once you complete your assignment in Shadow Health, you will need to download your lab pass and upload it to the corresponding assignment in Canvas for your faculty review.
• (Note: Please save your lab pass as “LastName_FirstName_AssignmentName”.) You can find instructions for downloading your lab pass here: https://link.shadowhealth.com/download-lab-passLinks to an external site.
• Complete your documentation using the documentation template in your resources and submit it into your Assignment submission link below.
• To submit your completed assignment, save your Assignment as WK4Assgn2+last name+first initial.
• Then, click on Start Assignment near the top of the page.
• Next, click on Upload File and select both files and then Submit Assignment for review.
• Note: You must pass this assignment with a minimum score of 80% in order to pass the class. Once submitted, there are not any opportunities to revise or repeat this assignment.