This assignment will help you, a future counselor, analyze various evidence-based addiction treatment interventions.
Write a 750-1,000-word paper that gives a general overview of commonly used substance use disorder treatment approaches. In addition, you are to select two common approaches and compare their similarities and differences.
Include the following in your assignment:
1. Briefly describe two common empirically researched substance use disorder treatments. Choose two from the following: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, or Solution-focused Brief Therapy.
2. Compare, in a side-by-side chart, the differences of each of the two treatments chosen.
3. Explain which of the treatments you personally would prefer to use and why.
4. Identify the professionals who may be involved in treatment, and then describe their role and how you would personally coordinate treatment with them.
Include a minimum of two peer reviewed scholarly sources, in addition to the textbook.
Consider using the following level-one APA headings in your paper to help organize the content:
• Common Empirically Researched Substance Use Disorder Treatments
• Differences in Treatments
• Treatments Personally Preferred
• Professionals Involved in Treatment
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance. Follow the instructions in the APA Style Guide, which you can find in the Student Success Center.
A rubric is used for this assignment. Please look over the rubric before starting the assignment so you know what is expected of you and how to do it well.
LopesWrite is where you need to send this assignment. In Class Resources, you can find a link to the LopesWrite technical support articles if you need help.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competency and professional standards:
MS Addiction Counseling; MS Christian Counseling of Substance Use and Addictive Disorders
4.1: Assess valid and reliable research to answer questions for an identified problem, concern, or professional counseling intervention.
This assignment meets the following NASAC Standards:
5) Describe the philosophies, practices, policies, and outcomes of the most generally accepted models of treatment, recovery, relapse prevention and continuing care for addiction and other substance-related problems.
8) Appreciate the value of an interdisciplinary approach to addiction treatment.
10) Describe a variety of helping strategies for reducing the negative effects of substance abuse and dependency.
13) Appreciate the need to adapt practice to the range of treatment settings and modalities.
54) Exchange relevant information with the agency/professional to whom the referral is being made, in a manner consistent with confidentiality regulations and generally accepted professional standards of care.
63) Understand terminology, procedures, and the roles of other disciplines related to the treatment of addiction.
64) Contribute as a member of a multi-disciplinary treatment team.