Module 09 Content
After graduating from nursing school and passing your boards, you accepted a position as an RN in the emergency center at Rasmussen General Hospital (RGH). In the weeks ahead, your emergency center plans to implement a new initiative where clients diagnosed with low-risk deep vein thrombosis (DVT) will be sent home on 3 months of oral anticoagulation therapy with rivaroxaban.
Historically, clients diagnosed with DVTs in the emergency center were admitted to the hospital’s observation unit. However, when surveyed about their experiences, many clients reported that this was costly, time-consuming, and inconvenient. Under RGH’s new program, emergency center nurses will be responsible for educating clients about their new medication and administering the first dose to the client before discharge.
As part of this new initiative, all emergency center nurses at RGH must be trained to properly educate these clients on all aspects of their new medication regimen. Because you have demonstrated a keen interest in pharmacology, your manager has asked you to develop the educational tools that will be used to train the nurses at RGH.
It’s worth noting that the standard dosing for all low-risk DVTs is as follows:
o 15 mg BID, 12 hours apart, for 21 days
o After 21 days, use 20 mg once per day
o After 90 days, the client will follow up in the thrombosis clinic to evaluate if they meet criteria for discontinuing the medication
Your manager explained that all of the emergency center nurses at RGH will be educated in small groups through a short, in-service training session. You have been asked to develop a professional-looking PowerPoint presentation that the trainers will use to guide the in-service sessions. Your PowerPoint will need to:
4. Be professional-looking, have a title slide, and 10-15 content slides.
5. Use the Speaker Notes feature in PowerPoint to reduce the amount of text that appears on the content slides.
6. The Speaker Notes for each slide will contain the text that will guide what the trainer will say while presenting the slides during the in-service.
7. The content slides themselves should be clear and easy to understand; they serve as an outline so the audience can follow along with what is being presented.
8. Be written using proper spelling/grammar and at a level that would be appropriate for the audience.
9. Remember the purpose of the training is to help nurses learn to educate their clients about the use of a medication. With that in mind, it may be helpful to provide examples of how to explain the information to a client in an easy to understand way without complicated, technical terms.
10. Include APA formatted in-text citations for at least 3 scholarly references and present the sources in APA format on a References slide.
11. Contain content addressing the items below.
13. State the drug name and its therapeutic category.
14. Pharmacodynamics – how does this drug work to achieve its intended response?
15. Pharmacokinetics – how is this drug absorbed, distributed, metabolized, and excreted?
16. Discuss dosage, scheduling, route, and length of therapy.
17. Describe what clients can expect regarding their therapeutic response and when it should develop.
18. Introduce nondrug measures that clients can do to enhance their therapeutic response (e.g., specific diet to follow, exercise requirements, substances to avoid, special precautions to take, etc.).
19. Side Effects, Adverse Effects, and Interactions
20. Explain the symptoms of common side effects, and what clients can do to minimize any discomfort.
21. Explain the symptoms of any major adverse effects, and what clients should do if they experience them.
22. List the major adverse drug-drug interactions and drug-food interactions that clients need to be made aware of.
23. Follow-up Care
24. Provide information regarding when clients should call their doctor for advice (e.g., questions, non-urgent symptoms, unpleasant side effects, etc.).
25. Emphasize any symptoms for which clients should seek immediate care (e.g., when to go to the emergency center or call 911).
Note: When developing a professional-looking presentation, it’s important to be mindful of how you layout your content. The slides should present key points, arranged in a logical manner, without extraneous information contributing to a cluttered look. Using the Speaker Notes feature in PowerPoint is a great way to include relevant details without overloading the slides.
For information about creating PowerPoint presentations or adding Speaker Notes, consult the resources below.
o Writing Guide: PowerPoints
o How do I add Speaker Notes to my PowerPoint presentation slides?
o PowerPoint FAQ
o PowerPoint & APA: citing sources and creating reference lists in PPT presentations
Submit your completed assignment to the drop box below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates.
Save your assignment as a PowerPoint presentation. (Mac users, please remember to append the “.pptx” extension to the filename.) The name of the file should be your first initial and last name, followed by an underscore and the name of the assignment, and an underscore and the date. An example is shown below:
Evaluate responses to nursing interventions for clients with endocrine disorders.
You are working as a nurse supervisor. You are finding a lot of new nurses are unfamiliar with certain endocrine disorders. You have decided to put together a guide for these nurses to educate them on different endocrine diseases and provide them with ways to provide quality multidimensional care.
Compare and contrast two endocrine disorders within the guide. Include the following information:
o Identify and compare the causes and diagnostic tests.
o Identify and compare the signs and symptoms of the disorder.
o Describe the nurses’ role in caring for a patient that suffers from this disorder to include the multidimensional aspects of nursing care.
o Identify how you will evaluate responses to the interventions taken for each disorder.
Submit your completed assignment by following the directions below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates.
Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document. (Mac users, please remember to append the “.docx” extension to the filename.) The name of the file should be your first initial and last name, followed by an underscore and the name of the assignment, and an underscore and the date. An example is shown below:
Special offer! Get 15 - 30% discount on all orders - Check Coupons Section
Essay Help for Your Convenience
We Offer the Custom Writing Service with 3 Key Benefits
Our team of professional writers guarantees top-quality custom essay writing results.
Get 24⁄7 help with proofreading and editing your draft – fixing the grammar, spelling, or formatting of your custom writing.
We guarantee a perfect price-quality balance to all students. The more pages you order, the less you pay.
Benefit From App Essay Writers Extras
Along with our writing, editing, and proofreading skills, we want to make sure you get real bang for your buck, which is why we provide all these extra features.
Custom Essay Writing Service
Get your custom writings in the best quality: