Assessment value : 50%
1,000-words, excluding footnote citations and bibliography.
Create a question in response to a key image and at least one other art work from the same discipline and from the 20th century.
Base the answer on scholarly (academic) research.
The key image should be the same image that forms your oral presentation.
You may choose another key image as your second work, or another work altogether.
You may use the article you read and presented for your oral presentation if it was one of the additional scholarly articles, rather than a homework reading, as one of your research texts.
Minimum four (4) texts. Up to three may be found on Moodle. The rest must be found through your own research in the Monash Library.
Responding to the question
• Create a question, and a title to shape your essay.
• Provide an introductory paragraph. The paragraph should introduce the key theme of your essay, the works under discussion, and the key texts being referred to.
• The paragraphs to follow the introduction should discuss the work of art or design by following the points, and arguments discussed by the authors of each text.
• You may use additional academic texts either from Moodle or the library. The focus is on reading, understanding, and discussing a few texts. If you have multiple other texts in your essay, you will be asked to bring these sources to class and explain your understanding of them to the teacher.
• Read the texts you have chosen for each work of art or design.
• Take notes about what the author says, and summarise the text in the tables provided in the Essay Research Notes and bring to your tutorial for review in week 5
• Make sure you keep track of page numbers and quotations.
• Make an essay plan, and rough draft. This should be finished for review and feedback by the teacher by the tutorial in week 7.
The essay plan will show the ideas you have collected from the readings, the works you have chosen to discuss, and how you plan to discuss them. For example, what specific points will you discuss in the essay, complete with examples from the research, and why is this important to your essay.
• What is the author’s point of view? Can you draw any differences and/or similarities between the works. Differences and similarities should refer to what is actually discussed in each text rather than your personal interpretation or analysis.
To note: it is not compulsory to find similarities and differences, however this will help you think about each work in a more critical way.
Summary of Deadlines for Assignment 2:
Essay Research Worksheet– week 5 tutorial
Essay Plan / Draft– week 7 tutorial
Final Essay Submission—week 10
Checklist and requirements • the essay MUST include
A discussion of the cultural/ historical context of each work.
A discussion and reference to two works from two different authors.
A discussion on the ideas of the authors of each text.
A discussion on two works only.
Include coloured images, and label/ cite them correctly.
Footnotes in Turabian bibliography/ notes format.
Bibliography in Turabian bibliography/ notes format.
Sentences at 1.5 spacing.
The typeface set in Times New Roman for all text in the essay.
12 pt size for the body text.
10 or 11 pt for the footnotes.
Word count – 1,000 words, excluding footnote citations and bibliography.
Please refer to the essay guides and the Turabian guide for more complete details.